Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My first pieces

Matt and I have always loved art of all mediums; paintings, drawings, pottery, sculptures, etc. And we really want our kids to be surrounded by art as well and have an appreciation for the gifts that God has given people. So when a friend of mine had her first show at a gallery in Madison, I was so bummed I couldn't go. But I looked at her pictures on facebook and immediately fell in love with two of the pieces.....so much so, that I emailed her and told her I had to have them; the beginning of our very own collection of original artwork. And not only did I love the pieces, but i also loved the narrative behind them. (And bonus: they look they were commissioned just for my house. The colors match amazingly well!)






So, the narrative.......now bear with me because if you aren't a fan of abstract art, you might not appreciate this, but that's fine. Thankfully there is an art form to fit each person's taste and style. Both paintings were inspired by Isaiah 55 as a picture of nature's response to God. The green one is called "Clap Their Hands" and the blue one "Movement". "Clap their Hands" is a picture of the trees, grass, etc clapping their hands in praise to God. The blue one, "Movement", is the waters and the waves moving in praise to their Creator. And as part of his creation, our response is also to worship Him. For my friend who created these, that translates into painting. And for each of us, it's something different. Matt and I have always marvelled at the amazing creation we are surrounded by, so these pieces are so fitting to have in our home. And my friend's husband framed them in reclaimed barnwood--perfect, don't you think?

I could go on and on about these, so if you ever want to hear more :), just stop by our house and ask! Everyday I walk by them I am reminded of God's amazing creation that he has given to us to take care of.
Let all creation sing, praise to the King of Kings

1 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I love Betsy's artwork!! It's fantastic :) So glad you got some pieces!! :)