Sunday, August 3, 2008

Encouragement

I have been reading a phenomenal book recommended by a friend of mine about being a godly mother. It's called "A Mother's Heart" by Jean Fleming and I have underlined something on just about every page. I could write pages about what a great book this is, but I'll let you read it on your own as I'm sure each person will gain something different from it. I think this is one of the few books I'll have on my 'rereading list'. But there is a great little paraphrase of I Corinthians 13 (the love chapter) that I really wanted to share. Hopefully this will encourage everyone who reads it as it encouraged me.


If I keep my house immaculately clean, and am envied by all for my interior decorating, but do not show love in my family--I'm just another housewife.
If I'm always producing lovely things--sewing, art; if I always looks atrractive and speak intelligently, but am not loving to my family--I am nothing.
If I'm busy in community affairs, teach Sunday school, and drive int he carpool, but faily to give adequate love to my family--I gain nothing.
Love changes diapers, cleans up messes, and ties shoes--over and over again.
Love is kind, though tired and frazzled.
Love doesn't envy another wife--one whose children are "spaced" better, or in school so she has time to pursue her own interests.
Love doesn't try to impress others with my abilities or knowledge as a mother.
Love doesn't yell at the kids.
Love doesn't feel cheated because I didn't get to do what I wanted to do today--sew, read, take a long shower.
Love doesn't lose my temper easily.
Love doesn't assume that my children are being naughty just because their noise level is irritating.
Love doesn't rejoice when other people's children misbehave and mine look good. Love is genuinely happy when others are honored by their children.



I think I need to reread this every morning to remind myself of what God has called me to be as a mother. I have a tendency to be very self-centered and to focus on what I want to do and my 'tasks'. I often times resent my children's interruptions because I can't get done what I want to do and I want my heart to instead be thankful to God that I could be there to help my children when they have a need. As Jean says in her book, "Making time for our children costs something, but it is an expression of our love for them".

2 comments:

kara jayne said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this post. I'm going to send you a link to and article you will really love. Forgive all the "mormon speak" in it, but I'm sure you'll glean the message. I'll be sure to pick up this book.


Miss you.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you like that book! Thanks for that reminder, I need to hang that on my frig so I read it everday! Have you read "A Mom after God's Own Heart" yet? I think you told me you got both of them. It's SO good too. They are both going to be books that I am constantly re-reading. Why can't I retain/remember/apply all that information when I need it most??