Friday, October 24, 2008

The Perfect Day

Last Saturday was a perfect day for me. We spent the entire day together as a family--Matt didn't have to work and opted not to work on his research or job-searching for the day, neither of us worked out, no running errands for me--an entire day just the four of us. I truly can't remember the last time this happened. Matt always has work to do--research, rounding on patients, being on call, or reading journals and if he can be home for a few hours, I often like to try and go for a run or get some errands done. But last Saturday we did none of that and it was amazing! (Now I just wish it could happen more often!)
So we headed to the pumpkin patch. We have gone to the pumpkin patch together every year since Wyatt was born and have had so much fun. I apologize for the amount of pictures on here. I actually only posted about 1/10 of the amount I took, but it's still a lot! Everything is just so beautiful in the fall.

This is seriously one of the best pictures of my two favorite guys. Wyatt seems to have gotten past the cheesy smile (most of the time).


Can you believe the size of the pumpkins the kids are sitting on??




The kids checking out the animals--I think these were the roosters.

The kids loved having Matt around. Sadie is definitely a Daddy's girl and will ask for Daddy many times instead of me, which I love!
The 'little people' straw maze. The kids thought this was so great because we couldn't come in with them and they were 'off on their own'. Wyatt was a great big brother and lead Sadie through and helped her find her way out.

One of the coolest things they had were these slides inside a barn filled with bales of straw. The kids loved it--they slide right into a pile of straw and had so much fun trying to walk around inside.
Sadie even went down on her own--this girl has no fear. She wants to do everything her brother does and sometimes, she'll try something first and then Wyatt will do it.



Wagon ride out to the pumpkin patch--we've always picked our own pumpkins and it's a tradition I love--plus it's so beautiful to be in a pumpkin patch.

Wyatt took off and started grabbing all kinds of pumpkins. Pretty strong little guy! And no photoshop here--the sky really was this amazing.



Matt headed further out into the patch to find the 'best' pumpkins.

The boys heading back to the wagon with our pumpkins.

Our pumpkins--Matt always tried to find the ones with the coolest stems and I think he was successful this year. And I loved that Wyatt had to keep his hand on the pumpkins so that no one would take them.

Back inside the barn



Warning: Lots of pictures of pumpkins! I just couldn't get over the beauty. The green gourds at the bottom of this picture are called "apple gourds" because they look just like giant apples.
Wyatt sharing his fresh pumpkin donut with his sister.





Not a great picture of Matt and Sadie, but the colors were amazing!

It was an amazing day! We came home, had some lunch and the kids took naps, and then went to the park and just spent time together as a family. Truly a perfect day--and something you really appreciate when it doesn't happen very often!

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Oh Kris - I love - love these pictures. They (you all) are beautiful! Isn't it great to be able to have a day with just you as a family. I'm glad you got one. I know they are few and far between - they won't be forever!! Love you! Jen

Anonymous said...

love the pics and the editing you did ... sorry we missed each other today. i'll try you later this week!
linds

Michelle said...

Oh Kristin, your post made me cry (I'm a ball of emotions tonight anyway) b/c that is SO our life right now too! The last day we had as a family with no agenda was when we were in FL about 3 weeks ago. Our weekends are the same way...whenever Michael is around the day is spent catching up for me, doing laundry, running errands, wanting to go for a run, and cleaning, etc. Michael is repacking, mowing, etc and trying to spend as much time with the kids as he can before he leaves again. It's TOUGH!! Especially b/c our lives were not like this at all before this FL thing happened, we spent so much time as a family. Have you found that your kids are attached to your leg or hip when Matt is gone all the time? My kids are sooo attached to me without Michael here. Brayden even has to sleep with me. He's usually so independent so it makes me feel terrible. Madelynn is regressing too and crying in the nursery, something she was long over.
I'm so glad you guys had fun at the pumpkin patch, we went about a month or so again and it was the best family day, I just soaked up every second of it b/c I knew it wouldn't last long. Praying for you!!

Sharp Family said...

Wow, those are some great pictures, nice photography work! I'm starting to realize that the one good thing about these guys working so much is that you truly cherish time together and don't take it for granted.