Monday, May 16, 2011

Growing up

It seems like Wyatt has 'grown-up' more this year than any other year of his life. And I am sure the primary reason for that has been Kindergarten. He has gained so much confidence, learned so much and made so many friends that have contributed to him maturing in his 6th year of life. And part of that growing up also means that he has his own opinion about things.....

like his hair!

We were getting ready for school one day last week and when I asked him to go in the bathroom and brush his teeth and comb his hair, he came out with a mohawk. He initially did it, I think, to see what my reaction would be. But since I have chosen to choose my battles and I actually found it kinda cute, I offered to let him wear it to school for just one day. I also thought that this was a big step for a kid who used to be so incredibly shy---to wear a hairstyle to school that would really stand out! And he was so excited that I was willing to let him do it--and help him 'style' it a bit!
I was so proud of him....not for his choice in hairstyle but for being confident enough to wear it differently than other kids. And Matt and I are also SO proud of him for this....
His 'Buzz Card'. (Let me explain: Wyatt's school has this card system called "Skillzy Cards" that the kids earn for various accomplishments throughout the year. Wyatt has about 10 of them for things like counting to 100 by 2s, accomplishing reading goals for each month, etc. But there are some cards that aren't as easy to receive.....like Student of the Month and Buzz Cards. These cards are given out based on a student's behavior in class and how they treat others.
Starting in February, each morning at our family devotions when we all share prayer requests, Wyatt's prayer requests revolved around wanting to earn a Buzz card or Student of the Month. The Student of the Month cards are awarded each month for the student who exemplifies the character quality that they are focusing on that particular month. Buzz cards are awarded for a student who displays three qualities: work, respect, belong. And last week, Wyatt came home with one! He was SO excited to show me and I was incredibly proud of him. We had spent a lot of time praying about this and helping him focus on his behavior when no one is watching. And we talked about how important it is to act this way even if there is no 'reward', but it was so encouraging to him when he got it! SO PROUD!

And finally.......Wyatt's AWANA Awards banquet.
(He's 3rd from the right...taken with my phone since I forgot my camera and we were on our way to baseball practice right after)
Wyatt started AWANA this year at a church near our house with his friend Gracie, but after 2 weeks Gracie quit going and Wyatt wanted to as well. We took the opportunity to teach him the importance of a commitment and that he had said he wanted to do it this year, so we would do it for a year and if he didn't like it, he didn't have to continue. But he did need to stick with it for the year. And he ended up loving it!!
He earned his 1st book award for finishing his first book, which means that he memorized 35 verses this year! 35!
I'm sure I will have more things to post as his school year is coming to an end, but we are so proud of all he has accomplished! We love you Wyatt!

0 comments: